N95 mask is a face fit respirator, which gives you protection from at least 95% of air borne particles like pathogens. The N95 masks must meet the standards prescribed by the US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Other countries have different specifications. Please note that N95 mask is not oil resistant and does not shield against gas or vapor.
N95 mask is not only used in medical setup, but also in a place with very heavy pollution or contagious diseases. KN95 filtration masks are quite similar to N95 masks with very small difference in standard. An eco-friendly company, Custom Earth Promos, produces both N95 and KN95 masks. They sell high quality customized masks on their website.
- When To Choose To Wear A N95 Mask?
- It protects from fine particles suspended in air such as anthropogenic aerosols like pollutants, dust, fog, minerals, and pathogens.
- It is made with light weight foam and has a structure to seal tightly on your face with easy breathability.
- Do not use a N95 mask if oil aerosols are present. It will damage the respirator.
- Consult your doctor, if have any medical issues like respiratory illness or cardiac problem which may stop you from wearing a tight fitted mask.
- Steps to Wear The Mask to get Protection
- Buy the NIOSH certified N95 mask for a better protection.
- It is best to remove facial hair, so that the mask fits your perfectly.
- Since this mask is meant to fit snugly, check whether it seals on your nose and mouth completely sealed. Also make sure that you can breathe comfortably. Try out other model or sizes for perfect fit.
Few organizations like medical or industry setup requires workers to take fit test to ascertain the right size for the individual.
- Before putting on the mask, wash your hands thoroughly to avoid any contamination. Dry your hands with a clean towel before holding the mask. Otherwise, you would wet the mask.
- Hold the exterior of the mask in the palm of your hand and place it over your face. The upper edge of the mask should be over the nose bridge and the bottom side going below the chin.
- Pull the straps over your head to secure the mask.
- Mold the nose piece by pressing down over the top of your nose. It should seal tightly.
- Check for air leaks. Try to adjust the mask or the nose clip. If you still detect leakage, choose another size.
- How To Remove The Mask Safely
- Do not touch the body of the mask. Just remove it by pulling the straps off.
- In some cases, you can store the mask in a sealed container or bag. However, when you use the mask in a medical setting or when there is an outbreak of infectious disease, you need to throw the mask after each use.
- Disposable masks cannot be reused.
- Always throw the used mask in a closed dustbin.